The P2 Internship Program is a collaboration between Hamilton County Recycling and Solid Waste District, Butler County Recycling & Solid Waste District, Montgomery County Solid Waste Management District, and TechSolve Inc.
The program trains and hosts college interns at selected companies in Hamilton, Butler, and Montgomery counties. The Districts fund approximately 75 percent of the internship and the host companies match 25 percent. The goal of the internship program is to give businesses fresh and innovative ideas about pollution prevention, save companies money through the implementation of P2 solutions, give students an edge in obtaining full-time employment after graduation, and create and keep technically skilled jobs in Ohio.
P2 Intern Program Details
Who is eligible to participate?
Interested industries must apply to receive an intern. Proposed projects must have a clear relationship to the Pollution Prevention/Energy Efficiency Hierarchy, described as source reduction, energy efficiency, reuse, recycling, and energy recovery. Companies applying for a summer intern must:
- Be manufacturers located in Hamilton County, Butler County, or Montgomery County, Ohio.
- Identify projects suitable for an intern and that support long-term environmental goals.
- Share project outcomes with the Districts. Confidential information will not be disclosed.
Students applying for the intern positions must:
- Be enrolled in a four-year undergraduate or graduate degree program with at least two years completed, or be a recent graduate.
- Be knowledgeable in engineering, environmental studies, or related field.
- Commit to working full-time for 12 weeks from mid-May to mid-August.
- Submit progress and final reports, as well as do a results presentation.
- Provide their own housing and transportation.
To Apply for the Summer 2017 Program
Applications to be a host company in 2017 are due by December 30, 2016.
First-time applicants and companies that have not had an energy assessment in the past five years are eligible for a free assessment by the University of Dayton's Industrial Assessment Center as part of the P2 program.
Hamilton County businesses: Download the Business Project Proposal Application. Please email Michelle Balz or call 513-946-7789 for more details or with questions.
Butler County businesses: Download the application from this site. Please email Anne Fiehrer Flaig or call 513-887-3963 for more details or with questions.
Montgomery County businesses: Email Barbara Asberry or 937-781-3062 to obtain an application.
The program is designed for upper-level undergraduates and graduate students. Acceptable fields of study include Environmental, Civil, Chemical, Mechanical, or Industrial Engineering Majors, Environmental Health and Safety Majors, and Environmental Science Majors.
An application package, which includes a cover letter, resume, and the completed student application form, must be received via email by February 17, 2017.