One of the integral functions of the Hamilton County Recycling and Solid Waste District is writing and implementing a 15-Year Solid Waste Management Plan. The Policy Committee oversees the writing of the Plan, which is updated every five years. The Plan must include the following elements:
- Demonstrate at least 15 years of solid waste disposal capacity
- Demonstrate that the District will achieve a 25% waste reduction/recycling rate for the residential/commercial sector
- Demonstrate that the District will achieve a 66% waste reduction/recycling rate for the industrial sector
- Develop outreach, marketing, and technical assistance on recycling, composting and waste reduction
- Develop strategies for managing scrap tires, yard trimmings, lead-acid batteries, household hazardous waste and electronics
- Examine incorporating economic incentives to increase waste reduction and recycling
The Plan can be viewed here.